SOS Children’s Villages is an international non-government organizaton that provides alternative family-based care for orphaned, abandoned and neglected children. It was founded in 1949 by Dr Hermann Gmeiner, an Austrian, whose vision is that children need the love of a family so that they can reach their fullest potential. In the Philippines, SOS began in 1967 when it opened its first village at Banay-banay, Lipa City in Batangas. Other facilities are located in Tacloban, Calbayog, Cebu, Manila, Iloilo and Bataan. Among its benefactors is Leigh Hoegh & Company, which had built houses and social centers for the families and had provided some appliances for the household in some of its facilities. Annual contribution is given by the benefactor for construction and running costs. In November 2009, HFS/AS President - Oistein Dahl together with Sebjorn Dahl, Head Fleet Personnel and Per Erik Moe revisited SOS Lipa City. They were welcomed by SOS Alabang Director & Staff, and SOS Lipa City Director & Staff.
SOS children & Mommy Irma with OID, SED & PEM, HFSP President/General Manager Yolanda del Pilar & Staff, Daddy Bembem and Ms. B-etta Ayon, Director for Administration.
PEM, SED & OID with SOS Lipa City Village Director Mr. Leonilo Rivera fondly called as Daddy Bembem by the SOS children